So I’ve read this before, in various forms over the years. Here’s the latest sewing buzz around the forums:
Tim Gunn’s 10 Essential Items Every Woman Needs
• Basic black dress – check. A beautiful Liz Claiborne ankle length column dress with slit up to there, and a dramatic U neck. Love it.
• Trench coat – check. Black Etienne Aigner from 20 years ago. Still a classic. I’d love one in a bright blue or hot pink with a fun lining.
• Classic dress pants – Probably in various forms, but the Hot Patterns To Die For pants are on the must sew list, as is a BWOF from 2004, the Italian version, shown in a gray silk with a matching tie-waist jacket.
• Classic white shirt – need a new one of these, bought some cotton poplin from Fashion Fabrics Club this spring. And some interfacing from SewExciting Sewing Supply
• Skirt – I could use a new A-line skirt. But needs to be non-boring. Think about this one.
• Blazer – scads of jackets in my wardrobe, but I really want to make the Italian BWOF one and do a nice job.
• Day dress – coming. My denim dress from BWOF 6/2004 (english). Also CJ Patterns wrap dress in a teal knit.
• Cashmere sweater – several. A TNT gray one from Lands End that I’ve worn on every European trip I’ve taken so far. A bright blue crewneck from Jcrew. A dusty ballet pink from Jcrew. A basic heathered gray. A heathered coral that I just adore from Lands end. The color makes me happy.
• Jeans – here too, I have several pairs. But I’d like to learn to make real jeans. Maybe the Jeans Jenius from Hot Patterns with a trouser leg.
• A comfortable alternative to a sweatsuit – Hot patterns Sugar babe outfit – another summer version is coming, but I’d like to make a cooler weather version, maybe with a cute bateau neck banded hem tee instead of the tube top?