So I made a lovely half-muslin (didn’t have any more fabric – or it was deep in the stash). And it fit great. I was on a roll! But the fashion fabric, a stretch denim, doesn’t behave the same (use the perfect sizing worksheet next time!) And it’s much too large. Fortunately I did try them on before I completely finished the waistband! AACK. a LOT had to come out, not just a small adjustment at the CB. Lots. So I also adjusted at the sideseams, and have to sew on the final inner waistband and hem to finish these. Close.
Now, when I make these same pants in the (first) mini houndstooth, and then the Italian windowpane wool, I am going to cut a 38 – AFTER I do the perfect sizing worksheet. Duh. Look, I know sewing isn’t perfect, and I’m not horribly shaken after this (especially with how well they’ll fit otherwise) but I am irritated.
Well, that’s what this space is for – to vent on sewing projects (yes, also to share sewing projects, but we all have the fit frustrations). It’s the #1 complaint amongst sewists. Enough to send me running back to make simple A-line skirts with elastic waistbands, LOL!
Well, OK maybe not. Still, they’re going to be very nice shorts, and I’m excited about making other pairs (in a smaller size) in other fabrics from my stash. I even have a nice wool doubleknit that, if it’s not too terribly stretchy, could be these same pants. Or, really, those cry out to be the Christine Jonson straight leg pants IF they’re stretchy enough.