Last night I spent an hour of precious sewing time trying to refashion a pair of vintage Escada trousers. I was taking a high waist pleated trouser (tapered legs) and making the legs much skinnier, more modern. But after getting most of the way through – including laying the pants on top of a BurdaStyle pattern I liked, I noticed there were four holes – actual holes – about an inch and a half in from the crotch seam. Now, I might be able to take them in that much but I’m beginning to wonder if this is worth it. I mean, I can make a pair of Tried-n-True Christine Jonson woven pants in two hours. From brand new doesn’t-have-holes Italian super 120s wool. I can probably make the BurdaStyle ones I was copying in about 3 hours. And no fussing – BurdaStyle fits me, and so do the Christine Jonson ones.
So that’s my lesson. I didn’t even buy these – they were sent from a friend who’s mom gave them to me (presumably they were in HER closet since the 1990s). Maybe it’s better to just make new!