They’re done! And a nice job too! Click on the image for a big one 😉
I love these Christine Jonson jackets – they go together so well, so easily, and she offers such great finishing techniques like sewing down the facing so it doesn’t flop around. It’s really quite fun to make, and this version I used her signature buttons I bought four years ago. They look smashing against the dark red suedecloth.
I got this one done in two hours, from the time I pulled out the UFO which was body panels and sleeves sewn together, to buttons sewn on. The toddler woke from her nap just as I was finishing the buttons, so it was great timing!
The batik print is a stretch cotton – it’s not too heavy, so I am not adding shoulder pads, and I’m wearing it more as a shirt-jacket (though with a cami, that neckline is low). This one came out tighter fitting than the previous ones I’ve made – this stretch cotton probably shrunk a bit more with all the steam pressing.Hence the two button stance, not three (I simply couldn’t button it across my bustline). I also added rick rack trim to the collar (not sure if it’s entirely what I want, I may remove it) and the cuffs. But I’ll give it a wash and see if I like it first. It’s definitely a summer jacket, so it’s going to hang in the closet for a few months until we go to a warm climate!